Jamaica Gleaner
Published: Monday | July 6, 2009
Home : News
Agencies that offer assistance to fathers
Father's Incorporated

Provides counselling to fathers and assists in creating a positive image of fatherhood as well as to help men to develop better parenting skills. Meetings are held every last Thursday at the Women's Centre of Jamaica Foundation at 42 Trafalgar Road. However, there is no fixed site for the group.

Tel: 977-0135 (Department of Sociology University of the West Indies).

Child Development Agency

Provides services for parents who have a difficulty with children. This executive agency under the Ministry of Health has the responsibility of providing a nurturing environment for children in need of care and protection.

Tel: 948-2841; 948-7206

Address: 2 King Street, Kingston. (There are also several other centres across the island.)

Office of the Children's Advocate

Directs parents and guardians to where they can receive assistance such as PATH. This office is against child labour, therefore, parents are encouraged to seek the relevant assistance as it is their duty to be the primary providers.

Tel: 948-3279; 948-1293; 948-3371.

Programme of Advancement through Health and Education (PATH)

This arm of the Ministry of Labour and Social Security aims to improve the level of education and health among Jamaicans who are considered poor. Assistance is given to children from age 0-18 years. Social workers are also available to provide counselling for parents who have difficulties with their children. (Counselling is done at the local office in each parish).

Tel: 922-8000-9

Address: 14 National Heroes Circle.

The Family Court

Provides counselling among other services.

Tel: 922-6183; 922-0001; 967-2546

Address: 55A Duke Street, Kingston.

Home | Lead Stories | News | Business | Sport | Commentary | Letters | Entertainment | Flair | International |